Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mazda protege or volkswagen jetta as a first car?

I am going to buy my first car and i am undecieded on which car to choose. A 2001 mazda protege lx 2.0 or a 2002 volkswagen jetta gls 2.0. I like both cars but am not sure.What do you think?|||I would go with the Jetta because you will get way more bang for your buck! And I don't mean BANG as in your car will break down lol!





The Jetta has more of a solid feel and better quality overall. I believe (don't quote me on this one) that some parts are from Ford in the Mazda vehicle. Not 100% but I do know for a fact that Mazda and Ford have done some swapping even thought Mazda was the only one taking the Parts and Ford did not ANYWAY, another reason why I would recommend the Jetta overt he protege is the fuel consumption and oil. I know the 2.0L in the Jetta is VERY fuel efficient, I know because I had a 2001 Golf GLS for 5 years and I gave it to my younger brother (20) for school because it's so good on gas. Oil is another advantage, it doesn't use syntic oil compared to others with turbos or V6's due to the simple design in the engine (simple is good).


One thing that goes against the Jetta is certain maintenance costs. Though the basics are well...priced basic. There are certain check-ups that you will encounter which may be a lil pricy (like say if you reach the 110,000km (I use metric) mark then you'll have a more adnavced check-up. But that's of course rare. But it does depend how often you drive your vehicle.


Overall, it's a good vehicle.|||As a massive VW enthusiast, I would recommend that you purchase a Protege. The Volkswagens are amazing in Europe, but the "Made in Mexico" ones you find in North America won't even come close. I have owned many mazdas, currently 240,000km on my protege, havent even replaced a headlight! NOTHING!!

Report Abuse


|||Jetta. It looks way better and it does great on gas. The Jettas are very reliable and the old Mazdas have very poor reliablilty ratings. Also the Jettas have a way better ride to them. The Jetta is also a year younger so it will most likely last longer with less problems.|||I think the first poster is on something. No way in hell does that older VW platform have better reliability than a Mazda, even if the Mazda has just as crummy an auto trans as the VW does.





The myth of the reliable used German car lives on!

No comments:

Post a Comment