Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I am going to buy a Volkswagen Jetta, is there any year that I should avoid buying?

I plan to buy a Volkswagen Jetta this summer, Diesel and standard. I have heard they are very reliable and great on fuel. I am going to buy it used and I would like to buy one no older than a '01. I would like to know if there is a year that has had a lot of issues that I should avoid. Also any other tips you would like to give for buying a used Jetta would be appreciated.|||The 99.5 to 03 diesel is the best for economy. They will get mid 50's to upper 60's pretty easily with a manual tranny. They are known for reliability and are pretty simple to work on. The only issues are making sure the timing belt is replaced on schedule and the intake manifold needs cleaned periodically because of soot build up. Do not baby these cars, drive them somewhat aggressively and you will not get the soot build up.|||While Ford is the king of recalls, VW is the king of electrical gremlins. Avoid.|||Avoid all of them. Not reliable at all especially used. Save yourself the trouble and money and do not buy one.|||Stay away from 02-03, they had several issues not that they were hard or expensive to fix just annoying. Id go for a 05 TDi.|||They require a lot of up keep and maintenance and tooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment